Picasso clutch issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Picasso clutch issues

Post by daviemck2006 » 09 Nov 2019, 00:27

Hi. The picasso I bought a few months ago for my friend is busted. Well it is still actually driving, but theres a clattering from it. I hadnt time to drive it today but sat in it, it starts and idles fine, no particular noises, when I put the clutch in theres a rattling. It goes into each gear no problem, and takes the biting point in each gear, and no funny feeling at the clutch pedal. Maria, the owner, did go to a local garage, they took one look and said scrap it and get another car. My thought is that, with it being a 1.6 hdi registered in jan 2009 it will have a dual mass flywheel, and it is in the process of disintegrating. What's folks thoughts? The car has done 85K and if anyone can look at service citroen to see if it does have a dmf and how much citroen want for it and a clutch kit I can only give you the reg number. SL58XHZ. It has a towbar on it so the clutch could have been abused in the past.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Picasso clutch issues

Post by RichardW » 09 Nov 2019, 09:39

Sounds like the release bearing to me, Davie, that's how ours went on our 1.6 HDi C4 Picasso.... The clutch might actually be OK if it's not driven, and a release bearing is only a few quid, but by the time you have stripped out the gearbox you might as well replace the lot. If it's a 90 BHP, then no DMF - if it's a 110, then it will have a DMF.

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 09 Nov 2019, 16:01

I've just spoke on to a local mechanic and he says most likely release bearing too, poss dmf. However it is a 90 so it wont have a dmf then. Mechanic says he wont be able to diagnose it until the gearbox comes out. It started making the noise suddenly and has only driven 3 or 4 miles since, it is 4 miles out of town so that's the most it will drive. She presently has a loan of my c1, I gave her it because I'm feeling a bit guilty as it was me that found and bought the car for her. I know it's one of these things, noone can foresee a bearing giving up suddenly, but she put her trust in me to find her a car, and I found one which broke. That's unfortunately what happens with old cars.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 09 Nov 2019, 16:06

What a shame after you put so much work into getting it for her. Completely unforeseeable though, stuff like this jst happens without warning.
Hopefully a new clutch won't break the bank.