C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Post by Ben82 » 11 Feb 2013, 09:11

Seemingly "official" Citroen Sweden trained procedure is....... (and I'm in no way endorsing this!!!):
remove cover
Unscrew the battery lock
Unclip both terminals, and pull off together
Lift battery out,
put new battery in
screw battery lock,
clip on positive, clip on negative, start car.

I was actually hoping that with getting the Citroen Dealer to do it, would mean that they'd follow the proper shutdown procedure :(
At least I know for future reference, that it won't be worth paying any extra for them to do it!
0x
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude » 25 Feb 2013, 17:27

So if my math is correct, changing the battery involves approximately 1 hour an 33 minutes of waiting between operations, plus the actual time to disconnect, lift out, replace and connect the new one?
Seems almost Monty Pythonesque.
I'm not disputing the facts, because I have never changed a C5 battery, but for a most basic bit of DIY car maintenance, it borders on the insane. Having said that, my C5 goes into economy mode very quickly, even after a decent run, so I suspect I shall be looking at this post again soon. One thing is absolutely certain, the car will not be going to a garage to have the job done. At a conservative estimate of current rates at an Indy, it could skin me of around £90+ before I even price the new battery!!! As Del boy said,.............No way Pedro. :shock: 8-[
0x
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.

nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg » 08 Jun 2013, 11:58

Hello guys,

I'm going for a BSI reset on my 2007 C6 later today (or tomorrow!).

Please forgive me for being dense, but can I get a little clarification on this portion of the procedure :

Unclip the battery leads.
Short them together through a resistance - a festoon bulb is ideal - for a minute or so.
Short the battery leads together for a minute.

.... So, the positive and negative leads are off the terminals, and then you hold the clips to one another with a bulb, resistor etc in between for a minute?

Then hold them together without the resistance, again for a minute?

If I have this straight (no guarantee of that!) what is achieved by this?

Thanks! :-)
0x

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 220,400

Post by myglaren » 08 Jun 2013, 13:20

It discharges any remaining capacitance in the system, the main charge through the resistor so that there isn't a surge that will cause damage to semiconductors, the dead short when there is only a trace of a charge remaining.
0x

Jackie Evancho

nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg » 08 Jun 2013, 14:14

Thank you, myglaren. I had an inkling it could be something like this but, thinking a half hour wait would do the discharge anyway, concluded wrongly that it was for some other purpose!

I note some other PSA BSI reset guides involve a holding of the key lock button for 10 seconds. Is this unnecessary?

I've changed batteries last year, not knowing to allow the BSI to properly sort itself out, I must admit! :-( , and also let the old battery go dead on more than one occasion 2 winters ago.

Also changed a xenon headlamp unit lat year, after waiting about an hour for the ballast to discharge.

Not sure how much any of this may have to do with the little gremlins at present, but will try this reset in due course and leave word here for others of the outcome.

Regards

Nicky
0x

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 08 Jun 2013, 16:17

It is sometimes necessary to hold the lock button key if the plipper loses synchronisation but I haven't had that experience with mine.
The whole procedure is probably overcautious but preferable to the mayhem that can be caused by taking shortcuts.
0x

Jackie Evancho

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega » 26 Oct 2013, 18:32

myglaren wrote:If all is well then you will need to retune the radio, reset the time and date, reset autolights and reset window controls.

In my case ALL went well after I changed the battery according to the steps as described
in the first message of the thread.
Thank you myglaren Image

After the battery change I made a short drive for "teaching" the car using different gears and engine rpm etc. I am very satisfied with the results. Now the car works much better than when I bought it. Gas pedal response and acceleration improved a lot. It used to be a bit lazy to take the junctions in 3rd gear or didn't like gear change sequence 1 to 2 and then to 4.
At the moment my C5 works just the way I like =D>
0x
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 26 Oct 2013, 19:05

Nice result Mr Vega :)

I can't take any credit for the instructions - nicked them from elsewhere, can't even remember where now :roll:
0x

Jackie Evancho

frencheric

Post by frencheric » 17 May 2014, 15:25

Hi. Great info, I have just purchased as C5 estate 2001 the car turns over but will not start I've just put a new battery on the car & in the key fob. My problem is I can not run through your procedure because the car is in "Economy Mode Active" how can I disable this to allow me to lower drivers window & run through procedure (I live in France & the previous owner had gave up on the car so 200€ it was worth the risk in repairing). Many thanks Any help great appreciated
0x

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 17 May 2014, 18:41

You can't.
I flattened my battery recently and it went into economy mode.
Had to leave it at work and charge the battery for 24 hours.
Naturally couldn't open the windows (or lock the car overnight).
Opened the door then bonnet. Closed the door. Fitted the battery. Waited fifteen minutes then opened the door.
As I suspected the suspension activated and levelled the car - something I was hoping wouldn't happen.
Followed the rest of the procedure and it started up fine. A few things (windows etc.) were a bit screwy for the first few miles but normal service resumed after a few miles and some resetting.
0x

Jackie Evancho

frencheric

Post by frencheric » 17 May 2014, 21:22

I have the battery on charge so will try again tomorrow, many thanks for the info..
0x

frencheric

Post by frencheric » 19 May 2014, 10:31

Hi I've had the battery on charge (which is a new one) for 24 hours Ecco mode would not come off so I took door card out so that I could lower the drivers window & run through the procedure unluckily for me & the car no joy.. it looks like I have to clear the codes that are stopping the motor starting any idea 2.hdi 2001 C5
0x

frencheric

Post by frencheric » 23 May 2014, 07:26

After leaving battery off car & on charge for three day I retried the procedure with no joy. but I found an alternitive recipe
basically put key in drivers door & lock/unlock 10 x then put key in ignition & turn but do not start 10 x Hey presto car started...
0x

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 23 May 2014, 18:08

Never heard that one before!
Pleased that it worked for you.
0x

Jackie Evancho

cicero1973

Post by cicero1973 » 09 Aug 2014, 13:21

Hello guys

I am new to this so would appreciate a bit of help. I have a Citroen C5 160HDi saloon, 2.0l Version, YOM 2010

My battery is dead after leaving car 8 months in garage unused... was ill unfortunately

I have disconnected the battery leads but cannot pull battery out of compartment.

On the front side below, there is like a knob/lock which can be turned but the battery is still stuck in place.

Does anyone know how to pull battery off? What shall I do? I can turn the lock/knob but the thick plastic plate that holds battery in place still doesn't move a mm and it is hard.

From the other side it seems impossible to pull out...

any ideas?

thanks in advance

and regards

cicero
0x