C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude

Re: C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Post by qprdude » 09 Aug 2014, 13:57

From memory, if you loosen the socket bolt at the front of the tray, the retaining clip should slip forward from the battery retaining "rib", so that you can lift it out.

mikeC5

Post by mikeC5 » 17 Sep 2014, 17:00

"Unclip the battery leads.
Short them together through a resistance - a festoon bulb is ideal - for a minute or so.
Short the battery leads together for a minute."

The battery you've charged overnight: is this the new or replacement battery (not the one in the vehicle)?
Just changed mine (dud cell after nearly 10 years - can't rely on anything!) with a new one. I didn't do it in a garage and certainly wouldn't dream of shorting the leads together, not on the old one and certainly not on the new, fully charged one! What's the purpose? Anyway, with the clever battery clips and the cam release on the carrier, the whole job took less than 15 mins. (The man from Kwikfit (at the top of the road) carried the new battery down to the car and took away the old one!) Must admit that the non-one touch windows afterwards had me fooled - until I read the handbook!

qprdude

Post by qprdude » 17 Sep 2014, 17:06

Are you confusing shorting the leads with shorting the battery posts? Personally, I just disconnected the old battery and connected up the new one, just as I would have done on my old Ford Anglia in 1975. I suspect the shorting of the leads is to completely discharge any residual power in the highly complex electrical system.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 17 Sep 2014, 17:09

As I read it, you are NOT shorting out the battery, you are taking the battery leads off the battery and shorting them together (through a resistance (the light bulb)) to help dissipate any residual charge in the electronics.

qprdude

Post by qprdude » 17 Sep 2014, 17:37

Yes. You would have to be a bit on the daft side to short across the battery posts of a new battery! It,s clearly explained I think, for those who want to follow the procedure.

Northern_Mike

Re: Re: C5 and possibly other C-models battery removal

Post by Northern_Mike » 17 Sep 2014, 17:43

qprdude wrote:Yes. You would have to be a bit on the daft side
Only a bit?

mikeC5

Post by mikeC5 » 21 Sep 2014, 17:10

qprdude wrote:Are you confusing shorting the leads with shorting the battery posts? Personally, I just disconnected the old battery and connected up the new one, just as I would have done on my old Ford Anglia in 1975. I suspect the shorting of the leads is to completely discharge any residual power in the highly complex electrical system.
Yup! Completely misread instruction! Sorry!
However, after refitting the battery, the rear windows' "one-touch" functions work fine from the rear switches but not from the driver's switches - in fact just noticed that "one touch" doesn't work for the driver's window either!
Should I start from scratch again (lower windows, lower suspension, disconnect battery.......etc.)?
Mike.

Bazzer

Post by Bazzer » 05 Nov 2014, 20:43

i'm new to citroens but have been a driver for more years than I care to think about. i'm really taken aback as to the procedure for changing or charging a battery. What would happen if you just disconnect the battery and change it for a new one or charge it without going through this procedure, just for future reference.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 05 Nov 2014, 20:51

Generally, a headache and have to start again from scratch.

I have of necessity deviated slightly from the procedure and been lucky on two occasions but failed miserably on another and had to abandon the car and take the bus to work, only to go through it all again the following morning after recharging the battery.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 05 Nov 2014, 21:04

Think of it as the proper way to shut down a Windows based PC. You might get away with switching off the power, but you could end up with corrupted files requiring a re-installation.

I know it does not (initially) make sense, but think how much in the way of electronics there are in modern cars. These remain in standby even when the key isn't in the ignition. They need to shut down cleanly to ensure no glitches occur.

Bazzer

Post by Bazzer » 05 Nov 2014, 21:12

is this procedure similar in all new modern cars or is it just a peculiar citroen thing, I've never heared any think like it before.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 05 Nov 2014, 21:20

As far as I am aware only Peugeot-Citroen.
Never heard anyone else mention it.

qprdude

Post by qprdude » 05 Nov 2014, 22:07

Bazzer wrote:i'm new to Citroëns but have been a driver for more years than I care to think about. i'm really taken aback as to the procedure for changing or charging a battery. What would happen if you just disconnect the battery and change it for a new one or charge it without going through this procedure, just for future reference.

You pays your money and you takes your chance, as they say.
As previously mentioned, I just disconnected the duff battery, whipped it out and refitted the new one, fired her up and off I went. Probably less than 5 minutes disconnected, no special methods used. No shorting the leads, no open windows no standing on one leg, no whistling French folk tunes.

Battery clamp released, terminals disconnected battery out. New battery in, terminals connected, clamp refitted, battery cover replaced, bonnet shut, start car and off to Tesco's for the shopping.
I'm not saying things won't go wrong, but they didn't for me.
8-)

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 26 Nov 2014, 15:24

Mr AA man just slackened the clip holding the battery in, undid the old battery, then banged new battery in started car and all is well. I was beginning to get funny stuff happening to the car, all fixed now.

soops

Post by soops » 08 Apr 2015, 16:01

Interesting to read about how sensitive the mk2(facelift onwards)c5's may be to a battery that could be on it's way out.

When in the 1.6hdi C5 I've had a few months, at night with the headlights on there is sometimes a flicker from the lights. Today when sat in the car my boy put the radio on and it went into eco mode after about 3 mins, when apparently it should be around 30 mins, as well as the odd little faults that keep appearing and sometimes going away.

I still have my alphaline calcium battery that was on my old 2.0hdi Mk1 that I am going to put on the car I have now, it's not been on a car for about 6 weeks and it only took 20 mins for the charger to go green and say it was charged yesterday.

I'll be changing the vac solenoid, new fuel filter and sticking this good battery on tomorrow and hopefully some of the gremlins might settle down.

Roughly at what point on the gauge should the ammeter needle be when running? Mine is just over halfway.