Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

All the sticky threads from the Citroen and Activa forums have been relocated here at least on a temporary basis.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

scottishpaul
Posts: 26
Joined: 22 Jan 2009, 22:17
Location:
My Cars:

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by scottishpaul » 16 Nov 2011, 15:43

normaly if you look at top mounts you can see the rubber starting to split on xantias at that point its time to change top mounts
0x
pug 306 -turbo d 1993 -2001 xantia hdi 90 bhp -2000 partner van 2.0 hdi 90bhp

davoxx
Posts: 393
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 00:40
Location:
My Cars:
x 2

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by davoxx » 16 Nov 2011, 16:29

scottishpaul wrote:normaly if you look at top mounts you can see the rubber starting to split on xantias at that point its time to change top mounts


how does one go about doing this?
0x
2cv - it's a motorbike .. with four wheels.

"an enthusiast is the freedom fighter fighting to save cars, an expert is a mercenary who saves/kills those for cold cash"

User avatar
Xaccers
Posts: 7655
Joined: 08 Feb 2007, 00:46
Location: Milling around Milton Keynes
My Cars:
x 2

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by Xaccers » 16 Nov 2011, 19:11

davoxx wrote:
scottishpaul wrote:normaly if you look at top mounts you can see the rubber starting to split on xantias at that point its time to change top mounts


how does one go about doing this?


Set the car on high, get down on your knees by the front wheel and look up under the wheel arch.
See if you can gently peel back the rubber if it's split to see the rusty metal.

Or do you mean how do you swap them?

Set the car on high, get the front up on axle stands, set it on low, depressurise, remove front spheres, remove metal pipe, remove plastic cap that protects the piston's nut, remove the nut, remove the 4 bolts holding the strut top to the inner wing, remove the rubber bump stop.
Hardest part of fitting new ones was keeping the piston up enough (bloody slippery when covered in LHM, a cloth or kitchen towel wrapped around it provided grip) to re-fit the nut
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

davoxx
Posts: 393
Joined: 03 Jan 2011, 00:40
Location:
My Cars:
x 2

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by davoxx » 16 Nov 2011, 20:36

Xac wrote:
davoxx wrote:
scottishpaul wrote:normaly if you look at top mounts you can see the rubber starting to split on xantias at that point its time to change top mounts


how does one go about doing this?


Set the car on high, get down on your knees by the front wheel and look up under the wheel arch.
See if you can gently peel back the rubber if it's split to see the rusty metal.

Or do you mean how do you swap them?

Set the car on high, get the front up on axle stands, set it on low, depressurise, remove front spheres, remove metal pipe, remove plastic cap that protects the piston's nut, remove the nut, remove the 4 bolts holding the strut top to the inner wing, remove the rubber bump stop.
Hardest part of fitting new ones was keeping the piston up enough (bloody slippery when covered in LHM, a cloth or kitchen towel wrapped around it provided grip) to re-fit the nut

yeah sorry how to swap them/repair them ...
0x
2cv - it's a motorbike .. with four wheels.

"an enthusiast is the freedom fighter fighting to save cars, an expert is a mercenary who saves/kills those for cold cash"

citronut
Posts: 10974
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
Location: United Kingdom east sussex
My Cars:
x 3

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by citronut » 16 Nov 2011, 20:57

you might find also before removeing the 4 strut top mounting nuts, and just slacken the centre strut piston nut and give it a sharp blow with a hammer [-X , but place a block of wood on the top before the hammer,

regards malcolm
0x

andmcit
Posts: 4309
Joined: 03 Mar 2005, 18:59
Location: Swansea - South Wales
My Cars:

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by andmcit » 06 Jul 2012, 12:40

0x
Nothing moves you like a Citroën

User avatar
Xantianut
Posts: 652
Joined: 07 Aug 2012, 19:50
Location: Wolverhampton
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2
x 22

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by Xantianut » 10 Aug 2012, 13:18

0x
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Posts: 7359
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
Location: Reading
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")
x 312

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 20 Sep 2012, 20:13

Just checked Gracies' after reading this, and I am glad to say hers are fine.
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

reanimation
Posts: 117
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 11:43
Location: manchest0r
My Cars:
x 1

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by reanimation » 14 Aug 2013, 14:25

Hmm, interesting read, arrrgh. I've been busy with my other car to try have my classic as spare car but want to give this mk1 some love soon since its now my only daily! Problem with this is I can't really work on it for days/weeks/months... Does anyone offer a service of replacing these. Judging by the thread maybe not... I'm in north west so anywhere considered for a fair price and good service... Cheers
0x
Xantia gone. :cry:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Posts: 7359
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
Location: Reading
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")
x 312

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 14 Aug 2013, 21:06

Do a search for Kingas. They do re-furbish strut tops, and include an addition that prevents them spearing the bonnet.
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

reanimation
Posts: 117
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 11:43
Location: manchest0r
My Cars:
x 1

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by reanimation » 18 Aug 2013, 20:23

Thanks I spotted their name crop up. Seems a long way to send them. I'd sort of wondered about pulling mine off and getting a local very good quality welder to fix them... Hmm
0x
Xantia gone. :cry:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Posts: 7359
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
Location: Reading
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")
x 312

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 18 Aug 2013, 20:42

Yes, but Kingas also (as far as I can tell) completely refurbish the strut tops, replacing the rubber, and fitting an anti spear component.
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

reanimation
Posts: 117
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 11:43
Location: manchest0r
My Cars:
x 1

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by reanimation » 18 Aug 2013, 22:06

Hmm, sounds good certainly, have people used these guys? Just seems risky sending a part off out of the country. I expect they are all real and good but be mad to ignore that...
Though with that in mind, and a strip down on the car, it wouldn't be a hard job really.(?) Just off the road a couple of weeks, including a day refitting... Hmm
0x
Xantia gone. :cry:

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 39283
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
Location: North Bucks
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.
x 731

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by CitroJim » 19 Aug 2013, 05:09

reanimation wrote:Hmm, sounds good certainly, have people used these guys? Just seems risky sending a part off out of the country.


Yes, I can certify from personal experience that he's absolutely fine and kosher. We XM owners rely on him as strut tops for the XM are now beyond our reach from Citroen.

The quality of his work is beyond reproach so go ahead with confidence.
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

citronut
Posts: 10974
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
Location: United Kingdom east sussex
My Cars:
x 3

Re: Another "speared" Xantia strut top...Check YOURS!

Post by citronut » 19 Aug 2013, 07:42

reanimation wrote:Though with that in mind, and a strip down on the car, it wouldn't be a hard job really.(?) Just off the road a couple of weeks, including a day refitting... Hmm


you will be better off sourcing a pair from a breakers yard, send them off for a referb,
this way firstly if your have still got some life left in them, just have a thorough look at them to check there condition,

it is usually quite obvious when they arte getting to the end of there life,

secondly you could just swap the referbd tops over once you get them back, regardless of the condition of the ones on the car at the mo,

reanimation wrote: I'd sort of wondered about pulling mine off and getting a local very good quality welder to fix them... Hmm


it dosent matter how good the welder is, these can not really just be welded to fix them, as they are constucted out of two separate metal pieces bonded together with rubber,
0x
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years